Over the last two years, the rate of home prices appreciated at a dramatic pace. While that led to incredible equity gains for homeowners, it’s also caused some buyers to wonder if
Winter Homebuying 101: Cool Reasons Why It’s the Perfect Season to Buy
Dated: December 10 2019
Don’t pass up that ‘for sale’ sign stuck in the snow-it might just be your ticket to finding your new home at a steal! Real estate sales naturally slow as the seasons change and most home seekers put their search on hold until spring, but not you. You see an advantage in an overcrowded marketplace. You’ve been searching for a home since spring or summer and watched as houses were snatched off the market at record speed! More people means more possibility of a bidding war-ugh! You’ve had enough! Don’t give up now, RE/MAX shares the perks of pursuing that potential palace as the temperatures drop.
- Motivated to Move When home sellers list their place in the winter, it usually means their life has experienced a change in plans and now is the time for them to move on. Maybe they just accepted a new job offer in a different city or they already moved out to a new town and the house has sat on the market since summer. That means you’re in the right place at the right time!
- Determine the Deal Breakers Fewer buyers in the market may afford you a better price on a house, but don’t overlook those deal breakers you set at the beginning of this homebuying adventure. Don’t budge if the house has a higher property tax than you want, or a shoddy roof and old plumbing and what about mold? Sellers may be willing to bargain, giving you more incentive, but you need to be prepared to walk away.
- Knock Out the Competition Less is more in the winter house-hunting season! Local real estate comes down to supply and demand. Facing fewer buyers in the winter months than in the traditional selling season from March through August, means the seller may be eager to compromise on price or closing. Winter can be prime time when it comes to finding a good deal with less competition.
- Property Perspective The cold outside may give you more perspective inside. The harsh winter weather can take its toll on a home. The cold and wind test a home’s insulation, while moisture can lead to more serious problems like ice dams. Take time as you tour the home and take notes of any chill, moisture or drafts in the rooms. Consider how the home’s current condition would impact your quality of living now and just how much of a chunk it will take out of your wallet later-remember these issues as you negotiate the final price of the home
- Pick a Professional Keep calm and call your professional RE/MAX Realtor, Ryan Ivie.
So, get out there-bundle up and brave the cold in search for a bargain!
Article Written By: Melissa Reeves, from RE/MAX
Ryan Ivie is Utah’s top agent with over 22 years of real estate experience. With his knowledge of the market and strong negotiating skills, he consistently gets homes sold in shorter periods of ti....
Latest Blog Posts
In today’s housing market, homeowners have a great opportunity to sell their house and receive the best terms for their personal situation. That’s because there’s a
Many people are wondering: will home prices fall this year? Whether you’re a potential homebuyer, seller, or both, the answer to this question matters for you.&
If you’re thinking of selling your house, it may be because you’ve heard prices are rising, listings are going fast, and sellers are getting multiple offers on